Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Tick season is here?

Within the past few weeks I've found several ticks on popo. Big ones, small ones, flat ones, even an engorged one dammit. Nasty fuckers. A brief read amongst the local pet forums revealed similar tick findings which seem to have started with the haze. Some dogs get it without even going outside! Perhaps it's the hot weather. Either way, it freaked me out and pissed me off. It was my first experience with ticks because bobby didn't have them. At least, not that I know of. Obviously, because we didn't bring him out of the house at all. 

Popo is different. She poops outside. She seems to have more energy too so I don't really wanna coop her up at home. I don't like her going near grass so I really have no idea where the bloody ticks came from. I'm guessing from the leaves that got blown into the void deck. Anyway, with every tick I flushed down the toilet, I muttered a long string of profanities cursing their entire line of ancestors. Probably that's why they're still coming at me. 

She used to be on k9 advantix, a chemical flea/tick/mosquito repellent. I switched her to neem oil because I didn't like her having pesticide in her body anymore. It may not be 100% as effective as the chemical pesticides, but at least it's natural. Neem oil apparently also promotes a shiny healthy coat and healthy skin. 

Initially I gave her neem oil baths. The smell stayed on even after drying. It worked well for 2 months but when the tick season started, I realized it wasn't powerful enough. So I started giving her additional neem oil massages, especially before I bring her downstairs. Still I found ticks on her. 

Therefore unfortunately, I'm now ashamed to say, I'm going to jump on the chemical bandwagon as well. =( She has a de-ticking appointment tomorrow. Gonna get a flea/tick repellent spray as well (she's really eating up so much of my money). It's less harsh than the popular pesticides but more chemical-ish than neem oil. Also planning to spray it around her bed and play area, and along with her neem baths and massages, hopefully I don't find any more of those fuckers. 

P/s. Before you start berating why I haven't taken good care of popo, TICKS ARE PART AND PARCEL OF OWNING A DOG!! Even people with frontline plus (supposedly one of the best out there, albeit chemical), have reported of ticks! I suppose it was merely sooner or later that popo would get them. Which is why I'm thankful to have been warned and taught what to expect. Nevertheless, they're not a pretty thing to have around so if this spray doesn't work as well, I have no choice but to try frontline.

On a side note, I realize her fur is getting nice and thick. The shine is also more obvious too, at least to me. I only have trouble with her ears cos the bald patch hasn't grown back yet. But her fringes have also grown longer. Still can't seem to stop worrying though. Now I understand when they say "养儿一百,长忧九十九".

I always feel that Mother Nature must have a reason for everything. Even ants and butterflies play a part in the natural world. But I suppose these buggers are Mother Nature's defect goods that accidentally got leaked out into the market. Recall them please!! X(

Edit 14/08/13: I didn't go for the de-ticking in the end. I didn't buy the chemical spray either. Instead, I used Lavender and Citronella essential oils (I bought for my ROM). Miraculously, the ticks gradually decreased and stopped altogether. She's been tick-free for several weeks already. Or perhaps the season is over. I still check her everyday though. =)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...